- The Publication
- A-Z Directory
- How To
- Trade Offers
- Back Issues
A growing number of UK installers are recognising the time and labour saving benefits of multi layer pipe, but the advantages don’t stop there – so says Graham Moore, General Manager at Roth UK.
Did you know that in the last three years sales of aluminium multi layer pipe in Europe has out-sold traditional copper pipe? To answer what will hopefully be your next question, why? Firstly, imagine a world where you could potentially install 500 meters of 16mm pipe for heating or drinking water applications without the need for a single additional connection fitting from source to termination. Now add a product that has the flexibility, form stability and a bend ratio 5x diameter through a range 16 to 63mm.
The question you should now be asking is how many joints would I have to make in either a copper or plastic system to replicate this design? Hold that thought! Now let’s translate that into labour time and costs. You do the maths, but independent studies have shown that the use of multi layer systems vs traditional copper can reduce installation labour by 52% and result in an overall installation cost saving of some 13%. When you add indirect benefits such a reduction in risk gained from the removal of hot works permits and the reduced leak potential from secure press fit joints, it is no wonder consultants and installers are turning their attention to this system.
Despite this, many of you will be saying both copper and plastic offer comparable timing savings with press and push fit systems. I would of course have to agree but not before I ask you to consider the other keys benefits MLCP (multi layer composite pipe) brings to system installations:
• Linear expansion – MLCP is close to copper but 70% less than that of PVC pipework
• System protection – MLCP featuring high grade bonded polymers with aluminium produces an oxygen barrier for a corrosion and limescale resistant system
• Increased water flow –continuous formed pipework increases water flow velocity, lower friction loss with smooth pipes and lower thermal conductivity
• System security – MLCP press joints are designed with inspection holes to ensure pipework is fully inserted in the joint. Once pressed, a robust secure permanent connection is formed, making it an ideal option for the growing offsite modular construction sector
• Less waste – MLCP results in less waste and reduced scrap value
At your service
So why choose Roth? Because we aspire to be the best within multi-layer plumbing and underfloor systems. In today’s growing market there are many suppliers, including an increasing online trade, offering plumbing components that come from a variety of suppliers with variable quality standards. Roth is a total systems manufacturer, from the Alu-laser pipe 16-63mm to our comprehensive range of high performance PPSU and copper Roth PressCheck fittings.
Our European reputation and success is based on being a supplier of high quality, innovative industry approved products and services supported by years of technical know-how. Since opening our new UK head office in Worcester, the company has gone from strength to strength investing in our technical and commercial teams supported by increased next day plumbing and underfloor stock holding at the integrated office and warehouse/logistics facility.