Gas safety survey highlights public ignorance

To mark the start of Gas Safety Week (17-23 September), the Gas Safe Register has issued the results of a survey that found that people are much more likely to own a smoke alarm (76%) than an audible carbon monoxide alarm (47%). More than 2000 UK adults were polled and only one in five (19%) knew that you can’t tell if a gas appliance is leaking carbon monoxide compared to one in three (30%) who didn’t know, or thought you could see, taste or smell carbon monoxide.

Jonathan Samuel, chief executive of Gas Safe Register comments:Carbon monoxide poisoning is known as the silent killer because you can’t see it, taste it or smell it. Our research shows that lots of people aren’t aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning or how to know if their gas appliance isn’t working safely. This Gas Safety Week we’re helping people find out more about how to keep their homes gas safe and reminding everyone to not cut corners when it comes to getting their gas appliances checked on an annual basis.”

 Gas Safe Register recommends that people get their gas appliances checked on an annual basis to ensure gas appliances are working safely and efficiently. However one in four (24%) of those polled admitted that they don’t follow this guidance and could be using illegal gas fitters as one in ten people (11%) said they don’t get their gas appliances serviced and don’t know if their engineer is Gas Safe registered (8%).  

 Gas Safe Register recommends six simple steps to keep our families safe and warm in our homes: 

1.       Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer.  

2.       Double check both sides of your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card to know that they’re registered and qualified to work on your gas appliances. 

3.       Have all gas appliances serviced and safety checked every year. 

4.       Familiarise yourself with the six signs of CO poisoning; headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.  

5.       Check appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly, e.g. black marks or stains on or around the appliance, lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones and  condensation around the room.  

6.       Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm for a second line of defence against carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Gas Safe Register has created a video to demonstrate how carbon monoxide can be missed from the home safety checks.

Show your support for Gas Safety Week 2018: 

·       Follow @GasSafetyWeek and #GSW18 

·       Pledge your support here.  

ShareTweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPin on Pinterest
Categories

Login

Register | Lost your password?