Most not aware of CO dangers

As part of its support of this year’s Gas Safety Week, the APHC (Association of Plumbing & Heating Contractors) has revealed alarming research figures regarding the awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

John Thompson, CEO at APHC, comments: “Our research found that 39% of households don’t have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted in their homes, with another 34% having rooms that contain either a gas, oil or solid fuel burning appliance that doesn’t also have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted.”

The research also found that 37% of householders didn’t know that it is advisable, and in some cases that it is a legal requirement, for a carbon monoxide alarm to be fitted in each room where there is a gas, oil or solid fuel burning appliance.

Recently APHC’s President called for greater enforcement action in penalising those responsible for dangerous gas work and further legislation banning these individuals from re-registering on the Gas Safe Register.

Organised by Gas Safe Register, the seventh annual Gas Safety Week is taking place between 18th and 24th September and aims to raise awareness of the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances, which can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.

 

 

ShareTweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPin on Pinterest
Categories

Login

Register | Lost your password?