- The Publication
- A-Z Directory
- How To
- Trade Offers
- Back Issues
More than a quarter of UK residents don’t have carbon monoxide detectors installed in their current homes, according to new research. For Gas Safety Week (13th to 19th September 2021), online boiler company BOXT surveyed 2000 UK residents to reveal how gas safe the public are.
In the study, 12.3% of respondents admitted to never testing their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and another 7.8% didn’t even know where their alarms were. Worryingly, 12.7% of respondents said they would have no idea what to do in the instance of a carbon monoxide leak, and only 25% would recognise the main six symptoms of exposure to the fumes. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, tiredness, and stomach pain. It can also lead to a loss of consciousness and even death.
Of those who hadn’t had their gas appliances safety checked within the past year, 15.1% blamed COVID, as the virus has caused them to no longer want people in their homes.
Another 13.6% didn’t know they needed to conduct these safety checks, and another 11.1% didn’t think it was necessary. The cost was also cited as the reason by 8.8% of respondents.