- The Publication
- A-Z Directory
- How To
- Trade Offers
- Back Issues
A landlord has been sentenced for failing to maintain gas appliances at a rental property in accordance with the law.
Owner of the Penlan property, Tariq Shehadeh of Doha, Quatar, was given a 12-month custodial sentence, suspended for 2 years and ordered to pay the full costs of £14,883.30 by Swansea Magistrates’ Court. Mr Shehadeh had purchased the property from his parents before letting it.
Inspectors from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and Gas Safe Register found a gas cooker which was not to current standards, a boiler which was found to be a risk which may constitute a danger to life, and installation pipework considered to be immediately dangerous, exposing the tenant and others to potentially fatal exposure to carbon monoxide. The inspecting engineer found the pipework to be ‘immediately dangerous’ and ordered the gas supply to be cut.
The authorities were alerted after an Action for Children support worker reported concerns about the mother and daughter living in Mr Shehadeh’s property.
An HSE investigation found that the landlord, Mr Tariq Shehadeh, failed in his duty to have the gas appliances regularly inspected or maintained, and failed to provide a Landlord Gas Safety Record, all of which are legal requirements. Mr Shehadeh later complied with Improvement Notices which required he take action to deal with these issues.
Mr Tariq Shehadeh of Abu Hamour, Doha, Qatar pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 28, 36(2), 36(3) and 36(4) of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998.
HSE inspector, Anne Marie Orrells, said after the hearing: “Landlords must ensure gas appliances at their tenanted properties are checked by a Gas Safe Register engineer at least every 12 months and are maintained in a safe condition.
“HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.”
Further information on this case can be found at Wales Online.